August 25, 2011

All over the place....

I am all over the place these days.  Some days my OCD is "good", some days it's horrible.  Some days I am filled with sadness about my Mom, others I am coping OK.  Some days I feel hopeful, others I feel utterly discouraged.  The past couple of days has been pretty good....for some reason I felt inspired to fight my OCD....inspiration I haven't felt in a long time. But I don't feel particularly passionate about....well....anything at the moment.  I'm pretty tired. 

I promised that I would post about a few things - one of them being the book I read called "The Woman who Thought too Much".  So I think I'll tackle that post, because I can't seem to get inspired to talk about much else. 

In true obsessive fashion, I am always looking for new books to read about OCD, whether it be a memoir, or new self-help book (with basically the same message, but said in a different way).  I am quite sure that I've read every book published on OCD - at least every book published within the last 15 years.  I found this book on Amazon, and knew it was written by someone from the UK who had Pure O, so was excited to order it and start reading. 

"The Woman who Thought too Much" is written by Joanne Limburg.  Has anyone else read it?  Joanne is a poet, and she has suffered from OCD since a young child.  She also suffers from Dermatilomania and depression (who - with OCD DOESN'T have depression?).  The book does a great job of articulating what it is like to suffer from Pure O OCD, while still trying to cope with everyday life.  Interestingly enough, Joanne has her masters in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, and spent years receiving "Freudian" psychotherapy, which did nothing to help her "scary thoughts" and compulsive behaviour.

I don't want to give away the plot, but it is an interesting story of someone who suffers for years, goes through many, many therapists, and still doesn't get any better.  The story is told with a touch of cynicism and the wit of a Brit (which I love).   

Would I recommend the book?  Yes.  I recommend all memoirs written by someone with OCD....there just aren't enough of them out there!  One word of caution though - don't expect a happy ending.  This definitely isn't a story about someone who has OCD, finds appropriate treatment, does ERP and lives happily ever after.  Perhaps that's one thing I found refreshing about the story - it probably more accurately describes what most of us with OCD go through....struggling to find the right treatment, good and bad OCD periods, hesitation to do ERP, etc etc.  The story is definitely REAL.    

If anyone has read, or reads "The Woman who Thought too much" in the future, I'd love to know what you think! 

P.S.  Too tired to check this post for spelling errors.....

3 comments:

  1. Goodness - I, like you, want to devour just about every book about OCD I come across. I struggle with a lot of compulsions surrounding reading, though, so I just get started, get bogged down in compulsions, and then lose interest because it just seems like too much work. It's ironic because I work with kids all day everyday helping them learn to read and develop better comprehension skills. Somehow, when I'm with them, I can put my compulsions aside for their sake - but when it's just me alone with a book, it's a different story. OCD books are hard in particular because I get really into them and am really interested, so my anxiety about reading them "right" goes up, and it becomes more of a struggle. At some point I want to seriously tackle my reading compulsions at which point maybe I'll pick up the book you just reviewed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I didn't catch any spelling mistakes, so you're good! Second, I think I will order this book, sounds like a great read. I, like the author, went through 3 1/2 years of Freudian phychoanalysis and it actually made me worse, when I thought it would make me better. It is not OCD or anxiety therapy by any means... Getting hooked up with the right therapist is key for us, and taking the leap towards ERP is scary, but SO worth it.

    Hope you're doing well, talk to you soon... -Lolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fellow - Isn't it interesting how we can "hide" our compulsions when we absolutely have to? So frustrating!!!
    Lolly - I'd love to hear what you think of the book. I'm getting inspiration from the "good place" you're in these days! These days I'm feeling a bit of renewed motivation for ERP...I think because if I can watch my Mom die of Cancer, and live through that (and see her courage) I can do anything!!!

    ReplyDelete